Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Course Reflection 12/1/2009

Course Reflection

English 111 was the far most tedious class I have taken thus far. I mean that in the nicest way. Thankfully, Mr. Gasparo was a well put together teacher and made it less painful. I don’t enjoy English much. The writing, the reading and the rules and regulations don’t interest me . Unfortunately, English 111 and 112 are classes you need to take in order to graduate. So, just like a math class in my case, I fudged through it and I am staring at the finish line now.
Coming into this class going back to school after a long ten year break, I was not prepared to be given so much work, and so many papers off the bat. I personally found it to be very time consuming; but in return, I definitely have improved my writing skills. I think for me personally this class was a little much for me because of my schedule. I took three classes this semester and I am working fulltime, I think maybe two classes would have been enough and I know better for next semester. I didn’t plan my schedule too strategically.
My favorite projects were the blog projects. I like social networking and doing the blog work and the essays for the blog work didn’t feel too much like actual homework. The writing assignments for these tasks were easy assignments and almost fun to write and I say almost gravely.
My least favorite assignment was the argument essay and presentation. I think had a chose a different topic for my argument essay this project would have been a little easier, but with the topic I had chosen, I couldn’t find enough information to make it work really well. I did it to the best of my ability though. As far as the presentation, I just haven’t used PowerPoint in about 10 years, so I felt a little rusty at it.
I will say though that after taking English 111 with Mr. Gasparo I feel prepared to take on other college classes as they come my way. I am happy I took Mr. Gasparo’s class. He was a tough teacher, but fair and thorough. It wasn’t a boring class where we would sit there and read from a text book. He, along with my classmates, made class fun and enjoyable. I liked how we watching movies and different YouTube videos in class.
I would suggest taking Mr. Gasparo’s English 111 class. It’s a nice wake up call for college and after this class; writing papers will be a piece of cake for you. Mr. Gasparo is young, but he’s thorough and seems like he has been teaching for years. Its refreshing to be in a class and be taught by someone of your own age because you can relate well.

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes it feels like decades. You're one of the first to comment positively about the blog this semester and I plan to make it a more important and engaging part of the course in the future. Let me know if you have any suggestions.

    ReplyDelete